Switch Gear at Savoy Cinema, Middle Gate, Newark, c 1969

Image ID: 09939

Switch Gear at Savoy Cinema, Middle Gate, Newark, c 1969

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Middle Gate
Newark on Trent
England

On 23rd January 1935 The Newark Advertiser reported that negotiations had been completed and a new 'Super Cinema' was to be built in Middlegate, Newark. The architect was to be Robert Crombie ARIBA of Baker Street, London. The Savoy Cinema was officially opened by the Mayor of Newark on Thursday 30th January 1936 at 7.30pm with the film 'Roberta'. The integral Savoy cafe also opened that week from 10am to 10pm daily. A description of the cinema as it originally appeared to the visitor follows: From Middlegate (to which there was a narrow, but architecturally impressive frontage) one entered under a modern canopy through entrance doors of mahogany. Inside, the foyer was decorated in white, picked out with mahogany fittings and an heraldic panel of Newark Castle. Floors were of mosaic and rubber lino in white, grey, black and green in a linear pattern. The balcony foyer, silver grey and black with a crimson carpet, and the cafe decorated in orange, set the scene for the Auditorium which was decorated in a 'Minehaha' (light shade) of green together with soft lighting and being fully upholstered and carpeted. The Savoy had seating for 1,500 picture-goers.

Date: 01/10/1969

Organisation Reference: NCCE003941

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate