Image ID: 09473
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Newark on Trent
This the first Free Public Library in Newark, opened in 1883. It was a gift to the town of (Sir) Joseph Gilstrap, a local man who had become wealthy through his malting business in the town. Malting was formerly big business in Newark, supplying the town’s large breweries. The library was named after its donor, being known as the Gilstrap Free Library. In 1988 – after 100 years in use – the library was transferred to a new glass and steel building.
Organisation Reference: NCCE003468