Image ID: 09177
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Newark on Trent
This is a view taken in 1963 of one of the road entrances to the Market Place – Bridge Street. On the left G H Porter's Grocery Store (still there today) in a building which is believed to be about 250 years old. For much of its history, before it became Porter’s grocery shop, it was occupied by successive generations of the Ridge family, booksellers and printers, who bore the distinction of printing Lord Byron's first two collections of poems “Fugitive Pieces” in 1806 and “Hours of Ideleness” in 1807.
Organisation Reference: NCCE003137