Image ID: 08119
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
East side of Moor Lane (now Nottingham Road)
This parish workhouse for 84 inmates was erected on the east side of Moor Lane in Southwell in 1808. It was designed by the Revd John T Becher in association with a local architect, believed to be Richard Ingleman. Becher published the plan of the workhouse in 1828 in his book 'The Anti-pauper System'. After the formation of the Southwell Poor Law Union in 1836 and the construction of a new workhouse ('Greet House' - now restored by the National Trust, see NCCE001847), the building seen here was converted into a Baptist chapel. Text courtesy of Peter Higginbotham - www.workhouses.org.uk. The picture here shows the date in Roman Numerals of 1839 above the door on the right.
Organisation Reference: NCCE001926