Image ID: 08111
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
The Minster at Southwell was probably built in 956 under Oskytel, Archbishop of York, as one of the four Minsters of the See of York (the others are Ripon, Beverley and York.) The present building dates from the early 12th century when the existing building was re-constructed by Archbishop Thomas II. Many additions have been made since, including the Early English Quire (early 13th century) and the Chapter House on the north side of the Minster (c 1290). The Minster was granted Cathedral status in 1884. The photograph also shows the Bishop's House in front of the Minster. The mansion was built on the site of an earlier 18th century house by Caroe in 1907-9, and incorporates the ruins of the 14th century Archbishop of York's Palace.
Organisation Reference: NCCE001919