Image ID: 07691
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Sutton on Trent
This picture shows the benefaction board of William Spray in the bell ringers chamber at All Saints Church. The Church dates back to the 13th century, although Saxon foundations and Norman herringbone masonry have been found. It was restored in 1902-3 by William Weir. The pinnacled Mering (or Meryng) Chapel was added in c.1520. The board reads:- 'William Spray, late of this Parish, left five Pounds to the Poor the Interest whereof to be distributed amongst Poor Widdowers and Widows on New years day Yearly for ever, and the Same is now laid out in Lands together with Thirty Pounds more of the Parishes Money the Interest whereof is also to be distributed amongst the Poor of this Parish, as the Principal Inhabitants shall think most proper. The Lands Purchased by this Charity Money, are one Close in this Parish Called Hobb Close, containing one Acre and three Roods of Meadow lying in the Meadows (that is to say) one piece called Crow Neb containing half an Acre and one other piece containing one Rood lying under Ryholn Hades. The Deeds of this Purchase for these lands bears date ye 28th day of December 1745.'
Organisation Reference: NCCE001497