Image ID: 00064
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Designed by Sir Jeffry Wyatville (sometimes also described as Wyatt) and built 1823-5 'based on the form of an Elizabethan gatehouse with a turreted round tower at each corner and costing between six and seven thousand pounds. There is a judicious amount of strapwork decoration in the panels and parapet crestings, while the turrets and stone balustrades obviously echo those on the central tower of the house, and the clerestory windows in the Great Hall were the model for the central archway.' From 'Sir Jeffry Wyatville architect to the King' by Derek Linstrum.
Organisation Reference: DD/1915/1/705-2