Image ID: 05305
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Rufford Country Park
The arched gateway to the stables and hunting lodge. Note the terracotta pattern above the upper window. This is repeated all around the building. The archway in 15 feet high and 8 feet wide, with two doors. The Cistercian Abbey was founded in the 12th century. Following it's dissolution in 1536, Rufford's lands were granted to George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury. The Talbots began to transform the abbey into a country house. The lands were purchased in 1952 by Nottinghamshire County Council. Rufford Country Park (or Rufford Abbey Park) is a very popular park.
Organisation Reference: NCCE000770