Image ID: 05298
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Rufford Country Park
Taken from the north east. The fence in the foreground divides the abbey grounds from the ornamental garden on its north side. The abbey is a Cistercian foundation dating back to the 12th century. Following its dissolution in 1536, Rufford's lands were granted to George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury. The Talbots began to transform the abbey into a country house. The property was purchased in 1952 by Nottinghamshire County Council.
Organisation Reference: NCCE000766