Image ID: 04831
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
River Trent, the Basin
This photograph was taken from Mill Bridge. The two larger barges in the foreground are Trent Navigation Co Barges (100-130 ton capacity). The man, centre picture is filling the barge's 30 gallon drinking water cask. The barges on the left and the others with masts are Trent Ketches (40 ton capacity), and all are moored alongside The Trent Navigation Company's warehouse, and to the left is their boatyard. In the distance is Newark Castle, The Swan and Salmon public house and Nicholson's Iron Works. Before the time of the photograph (c 1912-26), barges over 100 ton capacity could not reach Newark, but with the opening of the Cromwell Lock and the deepening of the river, they could. (As we can see here). The larger barges then had to transfer their goods onto the smaller ketches for the journey to Nottingham, because until more improvements were done in 1926, the river would have been too shallow for them.
Organisation Reference: NCCE000651