Image ID: 28064
Supplied by the Museum of the Mercian Regiment. he 12th Battalion formed on 5th July 1940 at Thoresby and after a period of training were deployed to coastal duties in East Anglia. They were sent to India in October 1942 and went via Bombay on the 25th November before moving to Delhi, when in Delhi the Battalion were employed on Internal Security duties. The Battalion moved to Delwari Camp, Bhopal State and went through intensive jungle warfare training. Then much to the discontent of the Commanding Officer the Battalion became a jungle training battalion. It trained reinforcements for the British Regiments in Burma in the war against Japan. By the time it was disbanded in 1946, the battalion had provided reinforcements to nearly every British Infantry Battalion in South East Asia. Meanwhile the 13th Battalion had formed on 4th July 1940 at Norwich. After moving around the UK for most of 1940-1941, in May 1942 the Battalion deployed to India and was based in Rawalpindi, where it became an armoured Regiment with the title 163rd Regiment of the Royal Armoured Corps. By December 1943 it was reverted back to the 13th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters. The Battalion was disbanded in September 1945, after VJ Day.
Organisation Reference: NCCI000545