All Saint's Church, Common Road, Huthwaite, 2006

Image ID: 27415

All Saint's Church, Common Road, Huthwaite, 2006

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Common Road
Huthwaite
England

Hucknall-under-Huthwaite was a township within the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield, and therefore its residents had to travel to worship at St Mary's, and for their baptisms, marriages and burials. The north aisle of St Mary's church was known as the Hucknall Huthwaite aisle. In 1868 the National School Building was erected, and was licensed for services to be held on Sundays. Some records mention St Paulinus's Misson, which probably relate to the ecclesiastical use of the school as a mission church. In 1881, it was described as being 'in the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield', but by 1888 Huthwaite was 'formerly a Township of Sutton-in-Ashfield, but is now a separate parish'. Eventually, on 22nd November 1902, the foundation stone of All Saints Church, seen here, was laid by the Duchess of Portland. It was built from rock bought to the surface at the local colliery. However, in 1934 the parish of Huthwaite was re-joined with the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield. Parish registers for Hucknall Huthwaite have been separate from those at Sutton-in-Ashfield since 1868, but only for baptisms and marriages. Burials were taken to St Mary's at Sutton until the cemetery at Huthwaite was opened.

Date: 01/12/2006

Organisation Reference: NCCW002877

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate