Image ID: 27043
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Next to Teversal Church
Copy of a wash drawing by Samuel Hieronymous Grimm 1787. The original is in the British Museum. Mr Plumbtree was the Rector of the parish at the time of the picture. A memorial plaque to him can be seen on an outside wall of the Church. Samuel Hieronymous Grimm (1733-1794) was born in Switzerland, studied in Berne and Paris before moving to Covent Garden, London in 1768. Besides his work as a commercial engraver and watercolour painter he is best known for some 2,500 commissioned watercolours of antiquities, historic buildings and landscapes in the British Library (MSS 15537-48). Throughout the 1780s he toured England, sketching churches, monuments, castles, abbeys and houses of the gentry. He was a contemporary painter to the time of Hogarth. Examples of his works are also in The British Museum, Tate and Victoria and Albert Museums. He also illustrated an edition of Shakespeare's Hamlet.
Organisation Reference: NCCW001449