Arnold    Fire Station Opening Day, 1935

Image ID: 26932

Arnold Fire Station Opening Day, 1935

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Nottingham Road
Arnold
England

The Arnold Fire Station Opening Day, on Nottingham Road. The Arnold Fire Brigade was first conceived on in 1901. A newspaper article from the time said, 'It will be interesting to property owners and the residents of Arnold and the neighbourhood to know that the District Council are fully alive to the necessity of maintaining in thorough efficiency the fire engine and other necessary appliances to cope with any outbreak of fire which may occur.' However, the first brigade was not formed until 1914, when Mr R E Clarke was made superintendent in charge of a number of men. These men were Chief Officer S Barnett, 2nd officer J Dalby, Engineers A Barratt and W Manderville, Drivers J Hammond and J Broad, Ordinary Firemen A Barnett, E Harper, S Peck, C Hudson, G Needham, J Casterton, G Stimson, J Ward, J Pearson, G Rose and W Bridgett. In October 1935, a new fire station was opened on Nottingham Road by the Chairman of the Arnold Fire Committee, Councillor W.Clay. The building had a 64 foot warning tower and two houses, and more were added about a year later. The Arnold Fire Station was again moved (to its present location) in 1980.

Date: 12/10/1935

Organisation Reference: NCCC003050

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate