Image ID: 25467
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
The Highland Laddie public house was situated on the south side of High Street, to the north-west of the then T-junction of High Street and Green's (previously Factory) Lane. It would appear that the building was originally a cottage (or possibly two) but had become a pub by 1912 (it is not marked as such on the Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 scale map, published in 1900). In this view, apart from the faded sign on the front wall, there is little to suggest this was still an active pub, so the photo may well have been taken after closure but before demolition, which is believed to have taken place in the 1970s. Picture the Past website contributor Allabarra Lantern adds 'The last landlord worked at Weldon & Wilkinson, hosiery dyers and bleachers of Rawson Street, Basford, Nottingham. The pub was a very small establishment and the bars were the same size as the rooms in most small houses. It was eventually demolished and the area became subject to housing developments.'
Date: c 1970
Organisation Reference: NCCC001570