Image ID: 25262
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
In 1832 Samuel Robinson converted an old bakehouse on the corner of Hardy Street in Kimberley into the areas first commercial brewery. Stephen Hanson bought a site in Brewery Street almost opposite Samuel's brewery at public auction in 1846 and commissioned the building of his brewery, which started production in 1847. The two competing breweries operated in friendly rivalry, producing beers from the same water from Holly Well. By 1857 William and Thomas Hardy see a business opportunity and buy Samuel Robinson's brewery. As their enterprise grew the brothers set their sights on expansion and commission the building of a new brewery, which opened in 1861. The purchase of pubs by breweries was a new idea at this time and Thomas Hardy was one of the pioneers of the 'tied house' system when he bought the Cricket Players' Arms and from 1870 onwards Thomas Hardy and Stephen Hanson netted an array of valuable properties in the region. In 1930 the shrewd business decision to amalgamate the two breweries into one company was taken and Hardys and Hansons as we know it today was born. A number of factors influenced this decision including the miners strikes and the need to make best use of the precious brewing water. Moving with the times Hardys and Hansons has built its success on a strong brewing tradition and family roots. After joining the family brewery in 1954 Richard Hanson became managing director in 1973 and is now Chairman of the company. The company remains one of the few local breweries to have survived the take-overs and closures which the other Nottingham breweries suffered, (such as Shipstones and Home Ales).
Organisation Reference: NCCC001387