Image ID: 23333
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
off Queen's Road
This shows where the bucket is wheeled to the forklift. There were two cupolas: one to fire and one to rest. The cupola was probably to the right foreground just out of this shot. In the yard, pig iron and scrap metal were stored. A crane dropped some of this into a chute into the cupola, which was then fired up to melt it. The bottom was then tapped. New fire bricks had to be installed after every firing. The Beeston Boiler Company was founded in 1886 and operated until 1980. Leys Foundry then bought Beeston Boilers. It's now the site of the Mecca Bingo Hall area.
Organisation Reference: NCCX000063