Entrance to St Mary's Parish Church

Image ID: 22775

Entrance to St Mary's Parish Church

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Church Avenue off Lammas Road
Sutton in Ashfield
England

The original Norman building seems to have been a plain aisleless church, and certainly occupied the site of the present building. During the general restoration which took place in 1868, an arch stone (now built into the west wall) was found. It was surmounted by the typical Norman chevron or zig-zag ornamentation, and may have come from the chancel arch of the Norman building. The pillar piscine now serving as a standard for the floral decorations was unearthed in the churchyard, and had been dated by experts as early as 1115. The Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene has been altered and repaired on a number of occasions. At the beginning of the 13th century, the building was lengthened by the addition of a new western bay. The tower and spire was added in the 14th century, and a new spire was built in 1819 when the former was destroyed in a gale. In 1854, the chancel was restored by the Duke of Portland, and in 1867-8 the Vicar at the time - the Rev. Charles Bellairs - raised

Date: 1900-1940

Organisation Reference: NCCW002286

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate