Image ID: 21618
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Station staff pose for the camera in front of the main station building with the Station Master seated in the centre. The poster board on the wall to the right is headed 'MIDLAND RAILWAY', while there are a couple of enamelled advertisements for Mazawattee Tea on the left. The latter was a familiar name to both tea drinkers and rail travellers from the 1880s until the 1950s. Whitwell station was located on the MR line between Mansfield and Worksop, opening in 1875 and closing under the Beeching cuts in 1964. It was subsequently rebuilt and reopened in 1998 as part of the Robin Hood Line Project, which re-established a rail link between Nottingham, Hucknall, Mansfield and Worksop. In 1981 the station building seen in this view - by then in a derelict condition - was dismantled stone by stone and taken to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley, near Ripley, Derbyshire. Here it was re-erected to replace a similar building that had formed the original station at Butterley, but which had been demolished in the late 1960s.
Organisation Reference: NCCW000951