Bentinck colliery

Image ID: 21581

Bentinck colliery

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Kirkby in Ashfield
England

Bentinck colliery opened in 1867. Annesley and Bentinck mines were originally separate concerns producing household, gas and steam coal. When the mines were amalgamated, Annesley with its two headframes became the main access for men and materials and coal came to surface via an incline drift at Bentinck which had the largest coal preparation plant in Europe. Coal was taken to power stations by merry-go-round railway trains operated first by British Rail and later by English Welsh and Scottish Railways. Bentinck retained its railway connection after the line to Annesley was dismantled and the nearby Erewash river provided water for the washery. Pithead buildings at Annesley survived from many different periods and included an attractive lattice headframe and a prominent 'A' on the upcast. In January 1999, it was announced that Midlands Mining PLC was intending to close Annesley-Bentinck colliery by the end of the year, due to geological problems and adverse market conditions. (information taken from www.iarecordings.org)

Date: 1970

Organisation Reference: NCCW000914

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate