Anglo-Scotian Mills (Ariel Pressings) viewed from the playing field of Roundhill School

Image ID: 18366

Anglo-Scotian Mills (Ariel Pressings) viewed from the playing field of Roundhill School

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Wollaton Road
Beeston
England

Anglo-Scotian Mills was built as a lace curtain factory in 1877 by Francis Wilkinson, when it was one of the largest in the world. It suffered serious fires in 1886 and 1892 after which the present Gothic frontage was constructed. It is now listed by the Department of the Environment as being of special architectural or historical importance. It is also known as Ariel Pressings. At the north end of this building is a very tall domestic chimney in the factory wall (not seen in this picture). This belonged to a cottage, long since demolished, to which the dissolute Nottingham boxer Bendigo retired after his religious conversion, when he became an evangelist. (information from www.nottingham.ac.uk)

Date: 1985

Organisation Reference: NCCS001418

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate