17, Bucks Lane

Image ID: 18261

17, Bucks Lane

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Bucks Lane
Sutton Bonington
England

This building was formerly the Free School. The occupier, Mrs Beresford, is shown near the entrance. A plaque above the door reads 'Henry Tate Esq of Burleigh Hall in Leicestershire and M William Tate of London both born in this parish erected this Free School at their own proper cost and charges. The ground on which it is erected was the gift of Charles Parkyns Esq Lord of this Manor Anno Dom 1719.' Boys were taught to 'read, write and cost accounts and learn the Latin tongue.' The schoolmaster took in a few boarding pupils. In 1860, following criticism of the premises by the School Inspectors, new classrooms were built onto the schoolmaster's house with the aid of public subscriptions. (These are now used as the Church Rooms and the Play Group meets there in the mornings.) In 1886 the Endowed School became an Infant School, and the older boys as well as the older girls used the National School. The building remained the Infant School until 1965. (information from Sutton Bonington Local History Society)

Date: 05/02/1979

Organisation Reference: NCCS001313

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate