Image ID: 17933
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Leopold Cottages' was built in 1882 and named after Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884), the youngest son of Queen Victoria. Evelyn Street joins on the left and the typical-looking cornershop with advertising for Benson and Hedges cigarettes is Thornhill's newsagents. The photographer's bicycle (a frequent prop in his images) can be seen here leaning against the garden wall. In later years the shop was enlarged out onto the pavement area fronting Humber Street and the wall-mounted letterbox at right of centre was replaced by one of the pillar variety.
Organisation Reference: NCCS000972