Image ID: 16643
Courtesy of Nottinghamshir
St Swithun's Church was the parish church for East Retford. The first mention of a church here was recorded in 1258, when endowments were made by Sewell, Archbishop of York. The church is built on a cruciform plan with a central tower. The oldest part as it now stands is the north transept, now the Lady Chapel. The central pillar and its two arches belong to the 14th century and still display their original painted decoration. The rest of the church is basically of the 15th century and is perpendicular in style. The rest of the church is 15th century and later. The central tower collapsed in a storm in 1651, destroying much of the chancel and south transept. It was rebuilt in 1658, and later in the 19th century.
Organisation Reference: NCCN003253