Image ID: 14740
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
There seems to be a trinity of hunts in this area, all photographed at Serlby or Osberton. The name of this hunt on the photograph mount is the 'Osberton Hunt', but it is pictured at Serlby Hall, and perhaps could be confused with the Grove and Rufford Hunt or Lord Galway's Hunt which can be seen pictured at Osberton elsewhere on the web site (if anyone can advise us as to the proper name of this hunt and clear up the confusion, please contact the Picture The Past office). The Grove and Rufford Hunt hunts fox in a country extending some 30 miles east to west and 40 miles north to south in Nottingham and South Yorkshire. It is bordered by the Trent to the East and the M1 to the West and extends from Newark to North of Doncaster. The Grove and Rufford Hunt was formed by the amalgamation of the Grove and the Rufford Hunts in 1952. The Grove country area was constituted in 1827 by Mr George Savile Foljambe. From 1832 to 1837 Mr Foljambe hunted the sand and clay portion of the country, while Colonel Fullerton, of Thryburgh Park, hunted the limestone portion, with kennels at Sandbeck. In 1837 Mr Foljambe resumed Mastership of the whole Grove country. In 1860 a portion of the Grove county, east and south of the Rivers Rother and Don was lent, with defined boundaries, to the 6th Earl Fitzwilliam, and this arrangement was continued to the present Earl Fitzwilliam until May 1929, when Lord Fitzwilliam's (Wentworth) having been given up, the country reverted to the Grove. By a fresh arrangement a portion of the county previously lent to Earl Fitzwilliam is now lent to the Barlow Hunt. The Grove kennels were first stablished at Bilby, but were shortly afterwards moved by Mr Foljambe to Grove, where the hounds remained until 1887, when Viscount Galway built new kennels at Serlby. When Viscount Galway resigned the Mastership in 1907, Earl Fitzwilliam bought the entire Grove pack, and building new kennels at Barnby Moor, he placed the hounds and these kennels in the hands of trustees, to be used by himself and further Masters of the Grove Hounds, for hunting the Grove Country. Prior to the amalgamation with the Rufford, the name of the Hunt has reverted to its old one of the Grove Hounds instead of Earl Fitzwilliam Grove Hounds. The Rufford country with Lord Harrington's formed part of the tract hunted by the 4th Earl of Lincoln in 1667. Lord Castleton hunted it in 1709, as also did Lord Scarbrough and Mr F Foljambe after him.
Organisation Reference: NCCN001147