Image ID: 14689
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
A photograph of the players in 'King Harry's Revel' which was written by Viscountess Galway and was performed at Serlby Hall. See also NCCN000739. The photograph is believed to be in the grounds of Serlby Hall, located SW of Bawtry. The estate's origins may be traced to the lost village of Farworth. Farworth was part of the manor of Serlby in medieval times, located in the north of Nottinghamshire. By the time it became fashionable to build gracious country homes and extend the grounds around to include landscaped parklands and 'pleasure grounds', the estate had been purchased by Lord Galway. It is said he bought Serlby Hall both to celebrate his elevation to the peerage and his marriage to the daughter of the Duke of Rutland. Almost immediately, he ordered the villagers of Farworth removed, to create space for his planned gardens and walkways. The whole village, including the church, was razed to the ground - a fact entered in 'The Great Houses of Nottinghamshire and the County Families'. The book, written in 1881 by Leonard Jacks, comments 'Within the pleasure grounds there is a large mound, thickly covered with leafy shrubs and tangled undergrowth. This was once the site of a church, all traces of which have long since disappeared just as the village of Farworth, the smoke of whose quiet cottages curled among the trees near Serlby Hall, has disappeared. Not a vestige of the village remains, but the plough occasionally unearths some remnant of brick or stone which once belonged to the foundations'. An account in White's Directory of 1853 records the house as follows;- The present hall is a square modern edifice stuccoed, forming a very handsome mansion, having the stables and out-offices on the eastern side. The situation is extremely agreeable. On the south front is a spacious lawn, beautifully interspersed with clumps of trees, whilst the north front has a charming prospect over some very luxuriant meadows, watered by the little River Ryton. The principal plantations are on the south-west side, with many avenues and shady walks cut through them, opening to the most striking prospects in the vicinity. The terrace is a part of the grounds always very much admired, not only for its own beauty, but the exquisite view which is seen from it.
Organisation Reference: NCCN001095