Image ID: 14630
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Showing houses, cross, and the Priory gatehouse at the far end. The Priory was founded on March 3rd 1103. An initial grant of monies and lands was made which founded the great Priory by the De Lovetot Lords of the Manor. (The modern East End, however, was only constructed in the 1970s, through a legacy from a former choir-boy.) The Canons of St Augustine were to establish Worksop Priory for the worship of God and the service of the local community and was dedicated to St. Mary & St. Cuthbert. The gatehouse, a tudor addition to the Priory, is considered to be 'one of the most interesting buildings in the county,' which features pre-reformation statuary, a wide late perpendicular tracery window and an unusual projecting wayside shrine to house an image of the Virgin.
Organisation Reference: NCCN001036