Image ID: 14111
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Bridge Street - Market Place
At the top of Bridge St, looking down. The White Hart, Ship Inn and Lion Hotel on the left hand side. The Old Ship Inn was built in the late-15th or early 16th century, although renovated many times, it still maintains a great deal of its original character . The Lion Hotel stand opposite the Market Place. The Lion Hotel has existed as a coaching house since the 16th century and has inventory records of contents fron 1601 when there was a change of ownership. Preserved there is an ostler's bell and the coachman's whip cupboard. From Victorian times the hotel was much used as a base by travellers on coaching trips to the Dukeries. An advert of 1887 tells that the hotel proprietor 'begs to inform his patrons and friends that he has, by kind permission of their graces, The Dukes of Portland, Newcastle and Earl Manvers, the privilege of holding keys and passes, whereby he has admittance to the beautiful parks, forests and grounds of the aforesaid noblemen'. The hotel suffered damage and riots during the Bassetlaw election of 1876 by rioters in opposition to the Conservatives, who had their headquarters there. The Hotel is designated on the DOE's statutory list of buildings of a special architectural interest. Originally it had 22 bedrooms and stabling for 36 horses.
Organisation Reference: NCCN000512