Image ID: 12210
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
Sherwood Hall Road
A Manchester cotton spinner and racehorse owner, Mr. Thomas Houldsworth, bought the building early in the 19th century following the departure of the founder, Colonel Kellet. He never lived there, but a private racetrack, for training purposes was laid down on the estate. In 1815 Mr. Houldsworth's horse, Filho da Puta, won the St. Leger. however eight years later when another entry, appropriately named Sherwood, was placed second, he was told the race had been 'sold' and that his trainer John Scott, who lived at the hall, was involved. Scott left his sponsor and another trainer was engaged. The hall was pulled down after standing for 200 years. Other occupiers were Sir Albert Ball of Nottingham, the Bolsover Colliery Co., Dr. Norman Tweedie - his wife was a sister of film star Victor McLaglen who occasionally came to the town to stay with his relatives - and a private school.
Date: c 1900
Organisation Reference: NCCM000011