Image ID: 11722
Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives
The Main entrance to Nottingham General Cemetery and Almshouses. Demands for a new cemetery grew after a cholera epidemic of 1832 and were heightened by a shortage of burial plots in the town graveyards. The General Cemetery was opened early in 1837, at first for Church of England burials, and from 1856 for others as well. The cemetery occupied a total of 18 acres of land that dipped down form Derby Road towards Waverley Street.
Organisation Reference: NCCK000700