Bishop's Manor, Bishop's Drive, Southwell, 1980

Image ID: 11461

Bishop's Manor, Bishop's Drive, Southwell, 1980

Courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives

Bishop's Drive
Southwell
England

Manor hosue for the Bishop of Southwell Minster. The Minster at Southwell was probably built in 956 under Oskytel, Archbishop of York, as one of the four Minsters of the See of York (the others are Ripon, Beverley and York.) The present building dates from the early 12th century when the existing building was re-constructed by Archbishop Thomas II. Many additions have been made since, including the Early English Quire (early 13th century) and the Chapter House on the north side of the Minster (c 1290). The Minster was granted Cathedral status in 1884. The photograph also shows the Bishop's House in the foreground. The mansion was built on the site of an earlier 18th century house by Caroe in 1907-9, and incorporates the ruins of the 14th century Archbishop of York's Palace.

Date: 28/07/1980

Organisation Reference: NCCK000439

Organisation:

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Comments

Leave a Comment
S M L

£1

Buy
Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.

Dedicate